Monday, April 4, 2011

Meditation and Creativity

Danise Codekas copyright 2011

When a problem first arises, try to remain humble and maintain a sincere attitude, and be concerned that the outcome is fair.--Dalai Lama

I spent last week with one of my meditation gurus, who was visiting from India. Sunday morning, we went to one of my favorite places, for a talk on the affairs of life, and to meditate in the wilderness.

Walking through the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge (http://www.fws.gov/Nisqually/), which is where I spend my morning walks, when the beach is too wild, I re-dedicated myself to my 2 daily meditation practices.BW hightide-nisqually

I first studied Eastern meditation, when I lived on DuPont Circle, in D.C., with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. His popularity grew when The Beatles lived with him, in India. The event catapulted meditation, into Western mainline consciousness.

 

 

Before Maharishi, I lived in South America and had the good fortune to be taught different healing/meditation techniques by shamans.

Since Maharishi, I was trained by Tibetan monks and studied with them for many years. There was also an Indian teacher, revered in the world, I followed for a while. That experience revealed the darker side of spiritual mentors’ egos and one that was needed, by me. Darkness likes to hide behind light and always uses bits of truth to fool.

Sunday was a healing experience. I was reminded of the deep, serene feelings, the basis of which, heightens awareness, when around spiritually guided humanitarians.

IMGP0303

 

Walking along the Nisqually Reserve, we talked about simplistic things that have little voice in daily conversation. God, refugees, love, compassion, death, regrets and forgiveness.

A three hour walk, with a humble Tibetan monk, re-calibrated my energy.Meditating in the deep forest, the true nature of life, crystalized into peaceful acceptance of what I am now.

 

Today, Monday, I am back in the world with my car’s Engine Light on. Ascertaining the proper fluid levels, and re-tightening the gas cap, did not extinguish the light.

I know, it is good to have modern cars which speak silently, in warning. Wednesday, the dealership will lay its experienced hands, using wise minds, interpreting the yellow light’s radiant exclamation point.

Trying to extract a resolution, before I learn my lesson, from this event, is futile. There is always a lesson when the world throws a glitch into one’s life. What the lesson is will be revealed, at the proper time. IMGP0306

The way I run my life and my business is based on ancient teachings from the Vedas, Tibetan scriptures, Biblical commandments and Hopi,Mayan,Kabbalah, and Astrological interpreters.

 

 

The guides are there, for me, and yet, free will determines my response to their guidance. A stupid action or word will slip me off the easy path, into murky waters.

I like to throw the I Ch'ing, once in a while. So I thought I would ask about the meaning of the car issue today. Here is the response:

What is the meaning of the car issue?

Yang (New)
Yang (New)
Yin (New)
Yin (New)
Yin (New)
Yin (New)
The present is embodied in Hexagram 20 - Kuan (Contemplation): He should be like the worshipper who has washed his hands, but not yet presented his offerings. There must be sincerity and an appearance of dignity, commanding reverent regard.

The situation is expected to remain the same in the immediate future.

The things most apparent, those above and in front, are embodied by the upper trigram Sun (Wind), which represents penetration and following.

The things least apparent, those below and behind, are embodied by the lower trigram K'un (Earth), which represents docility and receptivity.

So, I wash my hand of the car worry, and will not run rabid with worry about the car, and honor the mechanics who will give me wise counsel, this Wednesday. Until then, I will write, clean the refrigerator, and be thankful, of these two days, of quiet and meditation.  IMGP0337

I have two choices:

(1) be a stressed car owner

or, with dignity,

(2)accept the opportunity to spend more time meditating.

 

 

 

The knowledge needed to identify and repair the problem is already in universal consciousness, and all will be well on Wednesday.  I send beforehand gratefulness to the mechanics who will repair my golden steed.

“Cultivating an attitude of compassion and developing wisdom are slow processes. As you gradually internalize techniques for developing morality, concentration of mind, and wisdom, untamed states of mind become less and less frequent. You will need to practice these techniques day by day, year by year. As you transform your mind, you will transform your surroundings. Others will see the benefits of your practice of tolerance and love, and will work at bringing these practices into their own lives.”--Dalai Lama

No comments: